Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mini Review: The Solstice Cup by Rachel Dunstan Muller

Age: 12+ (my guess)
Publication Date: April 2009
Book Acquisition: bought a new paperback copy

My Rating: 4/5 Stars

(from publisher's website)
Twins don't always see eye to eye.
Something sinister happened to Mackenzie's twin sister Breanne the last time the two girls were in Ireland. Now they're back and the winter solstice is approaching. Breanne scoffs at their elderly relatives' tales of fair folk and banshees and the thin barrier between two worlds, but Mackenzie remembers what happened to Breanne five years before—at the summer solstice. Mackenzie is convinced the Otherworld is real, but is it a place of enchantment or enslavement for humans?

My Review:
This book was a total impulse buy for me. It was tucked away on a shelf at my local bookstore and I couldn't resist it's pretty little cover. I'm glad I did because I very much enjoyed the story. A true fairy tale about what might happen to you if you tread too close to where fairies roam.
Twins Mackenzie and Breanne couldn't be more different. These differences are only heightened after the summer solstice spent in Ireland after which, nothing is the same and they must find a way to work together.
Such a fun tale! I loved the Otherworld of the fair folk and I loved the interplay between the sisters.
A quick read, I recommend this one to fans of fairy stories who are looking for an enjoyable, light read.

**In my Mimi Reviews I explore older, sometimes obscure books I have found in my travels and wish to share with my readers**

3 comments:

  1. Awesome impulse grab! I go through those all the time. Beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book this afternoon at a small family-run bookstore that was closing... I had seen it yesterday, and had them put it aside for me... it took me 2 hours to read and I loved it! I am 19 years old, and even I found myself plunged into the story as if I was running along with Mackenzie and Breanne... The colours were vivid and the sounds filled my ears... I would recommend this book for anyone who likes the genre, old and young!! :)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)