Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Review: Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Age: 14+
Publication Date: May 2010
Tags: literary fantasy, urban fantasy, romance, suspense
Pages: 288
Series: no
Book Acquisition: received an ARC from the publisher

My Rating: 3.5 / 5 Stars

(from Goodreads)
Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship. 
To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

My Review:
Although Jekel Loves Hyde turned out to be an easy, well liked read for me, it took me a while to really get into the story. I'm not sure why but the beginning seemed to drag a little. Might sound strange but all in all, it didn't take away from my overall experience. Once the action started, it kept going, right up until the very end.

Told from alternating points of view, we get to see what both Jill and Tristan are thinking - sometimes at the same time about the same situations. I really liked this. It made me feel like I was getting the whole story.

One thing that got to me was Jill's personality. Specifically when it came to her feelings toward Tristan. Jill is such a strong person, she has to deal with so much after her father dies but her uncertainty concerning Tristan was a little frustrating at times. However, what really made the book for me was their relationship. What they had together, while based on something far fetched, was non-the-less routed in the very real reality of what was happening to them.

I liked the overall outcome of the book but the ending seemed rushed to me. There was a lot of action, a few surprise moments and then....it was over. I thought there should have been more.

All in all, I did like Jekel Loves Hyde. It was my first Beth Fantaskey book and I'm looking forward to reading more by her. I would recommend this book to YA fiction lovers who enjoy paranormal adventures and romance.

Linkage Love:
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group
Author's Website
Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm itching for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the ending, but I also enjoyed it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that you liked this book! I'm not into paranormal stuff so I probably wouldn't enjoy it, but it sounds like a great book for people who read that genre. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty good! I'm definitely adding it to my to read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh...this one has been on my TBR list for a while now....first time I've heard that about the ending (rushed) but still, I'm definitely curious to check it out. Thanks for sharing....and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome well rounded review!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)