Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Short Story Review: Endurance by Ann Aquirre

E-novella / Short Story
Razorland #1.5
July 2012 from Feiwel and Friends
Kindle / Nook / Kobo

Synopsis:
When rebellion destroys the underground world in which Thimble and Stone have grown up, they take Stone’s son and try to escape the chaos. Along the way, they must evade the Freaks, beings who feed on human flesh. Leaving behind the roles of Builder and Breeder which they were assigned at birth, they wander the underground tunnels, looking for safety yet afraid to go “topside” where legend has it that the light and water will burn their skin from their bones.
Their journey takes them upward to an unimagined world of tinned food, comfortable furniture, and books. Away from their regimented society for the first time, and still facing imminent danger, Thimble and Stone acknowledge the forbidden attraction which both have denied for years. 
(from Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Ahhh! I was so worried reading this one. What's going to happen? A nail biting tale that I was almost afraid to finish.

Endurance takes place soon after Deuce and Fade leave the enclave and tells the story of what happens to Thimble and Stone. I loved these 2 characters so it was a treat to see them again.

Having read Enclave a while ago, I have to say at first I couldn't quite remember all the details but it didn't take long for my brain to put the pieces back together. Reading about Thimble and Stone I felt like I had never left the terrifying world Aquirre created.

Extras? Yes - contains a preview of Outpost.

Will I continue the series? YES! I have Outpost and I cannot wait to get it read.

2 comments:

  1. This is actually the first I've heard of this short story but I think I will have to check it out before reading Outpost. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie :)

      I haven't looked it up yet but there seems to be a prequel (a #0.5) for this series as well. I'll try to post up info soon!

      Delete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)