Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Short Story Review: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

E-novella / Short Story
Throne of Glass #0.1
January 2012
Kindle / Nook / Kobo

Synopsis:
On a remote island in a tropical sea, Celaena Sardothien, feared assassin, has come for retribution. She’s been sent by the Assassin’s Guild to collect on a debt they are owed by the Lord of the Pirates. But when Celaena learns that the agreed payment is not in money, but in slaves, her mission suddenly changes—and she will risk everything to right the wrong she’s been sent to bring about.
(from Goodreads)

Overall Feelings:
Good but a little hesitant as I'm not sure how I feel about Calaena.

My Thoughts:
This novella is a little different as it's 1 part of a prequel of 4 leading up to the full length novel Throne of Glass.

Calaena Sardothien is only 16 but she is already one of the most feared and respected assassins of her time. In this short story we follow her and fellow assassin Sam. They are sent on a mission whose details they realize have been hidden from them. Never one to obey orders blindly, Calaena hatches her own plan of attack. And although at first you get the impression that Sam is very much against it, it's not long before I realized that he would indeed follow Calaena just about anywhere.

I enjoyed this story but it was really only because of Sam. Calaena was a bit hard to like, a bit too devil may care, a bit too much - suck it up boys I'm better then you and don't you forget it! In the end, I warmed up to her a little but I'm still confused as to her motivation. Why is she so harsh without reason? It was a little off putting.

Extras? Nope, just the novella

Will I continue the Series?: I do plan on buying at least the next short story (The Assassin and the Desert #0.2) and from there I guess I'll see.

Rating:
3.5 / 5 Stars

The Throne of Glass Series:
#0.1 The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
#0.2 The Assassin and the Desert
#0.3 The Assassin and the Underworld
#0.4 The Assassin and the Empire
#1 Throne of Glass
#2 Crown of Midnight (August 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)