Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Altered by Jennifer Rush

**2013 Debut Author**
"I knew Altered was going to be different right from the start"
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: January 2013
Pages: 336
Series: #1
Format: ARC
Acquisition: received a copy at BEA 2012

Summary:
When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?
Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them.
Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.
Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.
(from Goodreads)

Overall Feelings:
Satisfied - no overwhelming feelings but extremely happy with everything overall.

My Thoughts:
Might be lame but if I had to put a label on Altered I would have to say it was well rounded. Not in a boring way mind you but more in a I got everything I was looking for kind of way.

Told from the perspective of Anna, a 18 year old who lives a very secluded life with her father in rural NY, I knew Altered was going to be different right from the start. The fact that Anna as 4 extremely hot and possibly dangerous boys hidden away in a secret lab in her basement was my first clue. Didn't really need any more after that :)

What transpires for Anna is a somewhat unbelievable and at times terrifying adventure. Honestly, if you really wanted to nit pick, the beyond belief overwhelms the thrills but I think Jennifer found really interesting ways to bring it all together.

Anna herself wasn't a character I warmed up to easily. A little too much swooning and Sam, in my opinion wasn't really worth it but again - her actions and personality match up so even if I couldn't really connect with her I understood why she did and said the things she did.

So really, overall? A pretty enjoyable read.

Will I Continue the Series?:
Yes.
Although I think Altered works really well as a stand a lone, I'm interested in where Jennifer will take her characters next. I will for sure be picking up the next book.

Rating:
4 / 5 Stars


2 comments:

  1. The plot of this one does sound fantastic, but I've heard mixed things about Sam! That is too bad about the characters, but I still want to give this one a try. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Sam was kind of a hard character for me to like. I understood him but I wasn't in love with in, you know?
      So worth the read though!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)