Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 21, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

"Tumbling down a deep rabbit hole - fast and uncontrollable - that's how I felt reading The Darkest Mind."
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: December 2012
Pages: 496
Series: #1
Format: ARC
Acquisition: received at BEA 2012

Synopsis:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.
Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.
When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.
When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.
(from Goodreads)

Overall Feelings:
A little underwhelmed by the details but very satisfied with the results.

My Thoughts:
Something is happening to the world's children. Something that causes the adult population to react in pretty terrifying ways. It was this dramatic and extreme reaction that I had a problem with at first. Without having a firm background on what exactly was happening, it seemed really out of place.

The world in which Ruby finds herself in is in chaos and if I understand things correctly, it all has to do with the breakdown of our government due to a lack of funding. So, in 5 or 6 years time, almost all of America's children are either dead, in camps, or roaming the decaying urban landscape of what was once a fully functioning society. This dystopian aspect didn't quite fit together as neatly as I would have liked with what I knew about Ruby and her background.

Tumbling down a deep rabbit hole - fast and uncontrollable - that's how I felt reading The Darkest Mind. It was hard telling which way was up and there was nothing to hold on to. Everything in this world is unpredictable. It's a harsh and crewel and Ruby is right in the middle of it all.

Have to say though, I found myself routing for Ruby from the very start. The world she lives in, I did have a few issues with, but I was on her side 100%. Wanting to know what happened to her was a strong driving force that very much helped move the story along.

Will I continue the series?:
Yes! There is too much left unanswered and I really want to know what happens to Ruby.

Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

The Darkest Minds Series:
#1 The Darkest Minds
#2 Untitled (2013)
#3 Untitled (2014)


5 comments:

  1. I have heard so many positive things about this book-- I need to get my hands on a copy! Thank you for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this right now! But I'm kinda stuck in the 3rd chapter or so. How long does it take to get really good!? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the good sound bite quotes on what you thought of it! Man, I didn't know that this was for three books. Way to go Ms. Bracken! I heard that this one is quite a cliff hanger so even though it is sitting prettily on my shelf, I may just leave it there for a while longer until it gets closer to the second release. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)