Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: The Springsweet (The Vespertine #2) by Saundra Mitchell - spoiler free!

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: April 2012
Publisher: Harcourt
Pages: 275
Series: second in a trilogy
Acquisition: gifted an ARC by a friend

Summary:
Goodreads Link

My thoughts:
I was swept away and loved every minute of it! Saundra Mitchell has such a way about her when she's crafting a story. You don't even realize what she's doing - drawing you in further and further until her characters are as near and dear to you as your oldest friends.

After reading book 1, The Vespertine, I had high hopes for The Springsweet. I was worried about how much I could enjoy reading about Zora, who we first meet in book 1. I didn't love her has a supporting character so...a whole book about her? I wasn't so sure.

I had nothing to be afraid of because not only did I grow to love Zora, I fell in love all over again with the world Saundra has created in this series. Technically, I do believe The Springsweet is a companion novel, rather then a straight out sequel? I guess you could read it without having read The Vespertine but I think your experience would be slightly off and not nearly as fulfilling. I see this book as book 2 in the series and I'm hoping book 3, due out next year, will bring the entire story together in a fantastic way!

Final verdict:
Historical and magical with just the right amounts of romance and mystery, The Springsweet is a book that is a must read for fans of Saundra and The Vespertine. If you haven't picked up this series yet, I recommend to do. Rich and inviting, I could very much feel myself walking side by side with Zora as she discovers her powers.

Can't wait for book 3!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in The Vespertine Series:
#1 The Vespertine
#2 The Springsweet
#3 Aetherborne (2013)

Linkage Love:
Author's website
IndieBound

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)