Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Floors by Patrick Carman

Reading Level: Middle Grade
Publication Date: September 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 261
Series: 1st of a trilogy
Acquisition: BEA 2011

Summary:
Charlie had his chocolate factory. Stanley Yelnats had his holes. Leo has the wacky, amazing Whippet Hotel.
The Whippet Hotel is a strange place full of strange and mysterious people. Each floor has its own quirks and secrets. Leo should know most of them - he is the maintenance man's son, after all. But a whole lot more mystery gets thrown his way when a series of cryptic boxes are left for him . . . boxes that lead him to hidden floors, strange puzzles, and unexpected alliances. Leo had better be quick on his feet, because the fate of the building he loves is at stake . . . and so is Leo's own future! (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I feel the need to start out by saying that I am a huge fan of Patrick Carman's. I pretty much knew I would love this book before I started reading it. There is good reason for this as my expectations of Patrick's books have always been very high and to date, I have never once been disappointed!

What a wonderful and wacky place The Whippet Hotel is! I wish with all my heart that it was an actual place, full of actual people and run by a man that anyone would be proud to call friend. Merganzer Whippet is such an awesome character and I absolutely love the way he is portrayed.

In true Patrick Carman fashion, we are slowly given pieces of a puzzle. Or more actually, pieces that eventually make up bigger pieces that eventually show us a puzzle that may or may not be complete. Every little detail is important and everything is connected and when it falls together in the end, it's magical.

Final verdict:
The power of family and the power of friendships is very strong in this book, with plenty of twists and turns to keep young and old readers entertained. After traveling with Leo through Merganzer Whippet's crazy world, I was left with a s huge smile and a warm heart. Another Patrick Carman win!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
#1 Floors #1
#2 Floors #2: 3 Below


Linkage Love:
Author's website
Book website
Goodreads
IndieBound

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED MERGANZER! Also? Betty the duck! AND OMG I WISH THE WHIPPET WAS REAL TOO. Capslock can't even contain how much I wish that.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)