Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Audio Book Review: The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

Reading Level: Young Adult
Pub Dates: Book-Feb 2011 / Audio-Feb 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books For Young Readers
Length: 16 hours
Narrator: Katie MacNichol
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: Library

Summary:
In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Felt like I was kind of stuck in the middle for a lot of the book. I kept waiting for the plot to move forward and although it felt like it took awhile to get through, the end came before I was ready for it. A lot does happen in The Iron Thorn but it feels like it takes a little too long for the story to fully reveal itself.

I did very much like the characters. Although, there was a twist towards the end that didn't make a lot of sense to me. It felt convenient and it didn’t help to explain anything (for me).

The setting of this story is amazing! It's steampunk but it's supernatural at the same time. It's historic but nothing like the history we know. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the exact rules of this world but in the end, it was better to just go with it - letting the story carry me away.

Audio critique:
Very well done. A lot of different characters but I never felt confused as to who was speaking. Not heavy on the sound effects which works well for a book like this where there is already a lot going on.

Final verdict:
A multi layered story that screams steampunk awesomeness. A little heavy at times perhaps but it deserves it. There is so much story to tell and so much depth to each character that anything other then a massive tome would have been unsatisfying.

I'm glad I listened to this one. The imagery my mind created was more vivid, I think.

I'm defiantly reading book 2, or rather, I think I'll try to the audio book again. Don't let the size of this one hold you back - it's well worth the read (and listen).

Overall Story Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Overall Audio Book Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Iron Codex Series:
#1 The Iron Thorn
#2 The Nightmare Garden
#3 The Mirrored Shard (February 2013)

Linkage Love:
Author's website / Goodreads / IndieBound

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good but slow. Thanks for the review. I'm alll audios these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...does sound a bit slow...and I've not yet jumped upon the steampunk bandwagon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book (the second not quite as much but I think that was due to the year gap in between reading them). I found it very unique and inventive and consequently very enjoyable for the YA reader who seeks out the unusual.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)