Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Review: Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: February 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 272
Series: no
Acquisition: borrowed

Summary:
After her mother died, Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her as a piano prodigy, with a rigid schedule and the goal of playing sold-out shows across the globe. Now, as a teenager, Glory has disappeared. As readers flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, they see a girl on the precipice of disaster. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Chopsticks is a book...with words. Well, with some words - mostly pictures. Well, mostly pictures and words that go together. Like a scrap book. Well, maybe like a scrap book you find in the street - author unknown. Or maybe it's a story someone told you and you've tried to fit all the pieces together the way you remember it and maybe you got it wrong. Or maybe you got it right. Or perhaps the true author of the story never knew what really happened in the first place.

Confused? I sure was!

But. But! I was also fascinated. I HAD TO know what happened. And after finishing it...I don't know that I can exactly tell you. There is a secret here - or perhaps more then one and I'm pretty sure I haven't figured it out. I loved this aspect of the story.

Final verdict:
Chopsticks is a story you're going to want to read more then once. I still haven't picked it up for a second time but I'm excited to do so. There's something about this mix of pictures and words - symbols and hidden meanings that just begs for discovery.

A different sort of book that I think can appeal to a lot of people. I was a little annoyed that I didn't understand the full story at first but I'm curious as to what exactly is going on. A book that kept me guessing!

Overall Rating:
3.5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Goodreads
IndieBound

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)