Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder


Reading Level: Adult
Publication Date: December 2011
Publisher: Mira
Pages: 390
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken princeleader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life… (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Wow. So much love for this book. With about half the book to go, I though, I'll read a few more pages and then go to bed. Way past my bedtime later I finished the last page with tears in my eyes. Happy tears, mind you, but it's rare that a book can bring me to that level of emotion.

It was the fantasy that drew me in but ultimately it was Avry that really made this a fantastic read. I really loved everything about her - her strength, her weaknesses, her determination. She is honesty and true but she's no fool. She knows when to stand her ground and when to back away. She's strong in every sense of the word. I dare you to read Touch of Power and not fall for her!

I read this book under the assumption that it was a YA novel. Not so, I discovered but I really don't see why it couldn't be. There is some sexuality towards the end but not more then I've read in some current YA books.

Final verdict:
Touch of Power is a fantasy book for all ages. I was swept away by the magic and as the first in a series, I'm really looking forward to what comes next. It's so easy and such a joy to immerse myself in the world Maria has created.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book to any fantasy lover.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Healer Series
Touch of Power
Scent of Magic - 2013
Taste of Death - 2014

Author's website / Goodreads / IndieBound

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much-it reminded me a lot of Snyder's Poison Study (which is one of my favorite books of all time) in the way the characters were while also being its own separate exciting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo - it's good to hear that this one reminded you of Poison Study. I have that one on my shelf but haven't read it yet. Going to bump it up :)

      Delete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)