Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: April 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 293
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.
NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.
It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.
IF SHE FAILS… (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I wasn't quite sure what to expect at first from The Goddess Test. I really love Greek mythology but I was worried it would either be too heavy and not very well explained or too unimportant and irrelevant. Thankfully, The Goddess Test was neither of these things! The mythology was represented really well and it was easy to get wrapped up in the story without feeling overwhelmed with facts.

I loved the natural flow of the story and it's characters -nothing felt rushed. I did find myself shaking my head a few times. Mostly over the romance and at times a few of the supporting characters were a little over the top. For the most part though, I really enjoyed everything.

Final verdict:
The entire story and really the entire world of these characters takes place in a sort of bubble. You have to suspend your grasp on reality a bit to get the full experience. In that respect it reads more like a fantasy novel then a paranormal one. I happen to love fantasy so I didn't have a problem with this but I can see how those who were hoping for a fun YA paranormal romance might be a little disappointed.

Overall I was pretty captivated by Kate's journey and I know Goddess Test is going to be a series I finish. I'm a little surprised because the romance did have hints of insta-love, which I normally can't stand. I guess in this case, I really wanted Henry to be happy and I really felt invested in Kate, that I was able to overlook the less then perfect aspects of their relationship.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars


Books in the Goddess Test Series:
#1 The Goddess Test
#1.5 The Goddess Hunt
#2 Goddess Interrupted
#2.5 The Goddess Legacy - July 2012
#3 The Goddess Inheritance - April 2013

Author's website / Goodreads / IndieBound

4 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my shelf for almost a year while I debated reading it. thanks for the review.


    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree - somehow it's easy to forgive the misgivings in this book. I found Henry to be completely swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wanted a lot more mythology when I picked this book up so I ended up disappointed. It seems like people have been enjoying the series so I hope you like the next installments even more than this first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that this reads more like a fantasy definitely perks my attention. I'll have to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)