Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, October 22, 2010

Mini Review: Beautiful Dead: Jonas by Eden Maguire

Age: 13+
Publication Date: March 2010
Book Acquisition: bought new paperback

Book Summary:
Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances. 
Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss. Darina,Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be dead. And all the while the sound of beating wings echo inside her head! And then one day Phoenix appears to Darina. 
Ecstatic to be reunited, he tells her about the Beautiful Dead. Souls in limbo, they have been chosen to return to the world to set right a wrong linked to their deaths and bring about justice. Beautiful, superhuman and powerful, they are marked by a 'death mark' - a small tattoo of angel's wings. Phoenix tells her that the sound of invisible wings beating are the millions of souls in limbo, desperate to return to earth.Darina's mission is clear: she must help Jonas, Summer, Arizona, and impossibly, her beloved Phoenix, right the wrong linked to their deaths to set them free from limbo so that they can finally rest in peace. Will love conquer death? And if it does, can Darina set it free? (from Goodreads)

Review:
There are a lot of things I liked about this book. The first thing I noticed while reading was how much I was enjoying the romance part of the story. Phoenix is dead, but he came back and he's still in Darina's life. Their relationship is already established before we, as readers, enter the story. It was refreshing not reading a wishy-washy, love at first sight, happens too quickly to be believable, romance story.

Another thing I really liked was the fact that The Beautiful Dead are zombies! Ok, not your typical night of the living dead variety but zombies none the less. They even give reasons as to how zombies got pegged as gross, decaying, monsters. The Beautiful Dead are, well, beautiful. Perfect but doomed.

There is a mystery aspect and I wasn't sure how it was going to play out but I was very happy with the ending. Poor Darina though. I'm curious how she's going to make it through the rest of the series without having some sort of mental breakdown.

Can't wait to read more!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

The Beautiful Dead Series:

**In my Mimi Reviews I explore older,sometimes obscure books I have found in my travels and wish to share with my readers**

3 comments:

  1. Love the reviews. I think I have to start reading the series next year. Seems like they're on my TBR list for a long time now.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! where can i find them??, ive already read the first one, but also i want to read them all! but i can't find the other ones... please HELP ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE the Beautiful Dead series,it is just to good,i always stay up 3 hours longer than im ment to lol im on Summer now but im still waiting for my mum to get me pheonix,I NEVER WANT THEM TO END
    PLEASE MAKE MORE!!!!!
    p.s. i am probably gonna get other books you have done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)