Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 11, 2010

Book Review: The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green

Age: 12+ (my guess)
Publication Date: September 2010
Pages: approx 320
Series: no
Book Acquisition: received an ARC from the publisher

Book Summary:
When Erin Channing's favorite aunt dies, Erin is bequeathed a pink crystal ball and a set of weird instructions. Granted, Aunt Kiki (aka Aunt Kooky) always lived "outside the box." But now Erin and her two best friends are convinced that the pink crystal ball holds the key to their future-or at least the key to getting dates...
Consider Your Fate to Be Sealed . . .
*Absolute knowledge is not unlimited; let the planets be your guide to the number.
*There are sixteen ways to die, but four of them you will never see.
*The future belongs to you alone. Other voices will be disappointed.
*One rotation is as far as you can see. Only uncertainty lies beyond. (from Goodreads)

Quick Thoughts:
Easy, fun read for me. Unique story line with likable characters.

What I didn't like:
Erin's two best friends, Samantha and Lindsay, seemed a little selfish at times. They forced Erin into situations and because Erin isn't a very strong person, they get their way. I felt like she let her bffs walk all over her at times and I was frustrated that she didn't stick up for herself more. Samantha and Lindsay aren't bad people though, and they do actually care about Erin. It was more Erin's reaction to them that got me.

What I liked:
The story itself. Just a hint of the paranormal with lots of character interaction. Even though Erin wasn't my favorite, I had a fun time imagining I was her. Trying to figure out the puzzle of the pink crystal ball. Never knowing if she was making the right decisions.

Also, Jesse? Erin's recently moved back to town, once friend? Loved him! Their romance is so sweet. Take away the magic of the crystal ball and I would still have really enjoyed this book. Jesse really made it for me.

Reminded Me Of:
A classic tale of 'be careful what you wish for' mixed with a self-discovery, paranormal, realistic teen fiction.
The hint of magic we get, reminded me of Beth Fantaskey's Jekel Loves Hyde. Real teens trying to deal with unexpected situations due to forces beyond their control.

Who Would Enjoy It:
Fans of realistic teen fiction -- the paranormal elements are very logical and not overwhelming to the story. Also, fans of paranormal YA I think would also enjoy this one -- the magic is still there, along with a very well written, enjoyable story full of friendship, love, teen angst and happy endings.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Sourcebooks, Inc.
Author's Website
Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Oooo sounds fab. Its sometimes to have only a hint of paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review!I guess my sister would love this genre =)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)