Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Age: 12+
Publication Date: August 2010

Pages: 353
Series: 1st in a trilogy
Book Acquisition: bought new hardcover

Book Summary:
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. 
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. (from Goodreads)

Quick Thoughts:
Loved it! Read it in a few hours - I just couldn't put it down!

What I didn't like:
So hard to think of something. Really, the whole book just worked for me. If anything, I would have to say that because the characters were so interesting, I would have liked to have seen more points of view through out the story. Really, I just want more - of everything!

What I liked:
Um...everything?

Seriously though, this book was fantastic. I was hooked from page one. Evie was such an enjoyable character to read. Her life has never been normal. Luring, catching and tagging vampires, werewolves and their like is just another day on the job for her. Through it all though, she's still a teenager. She's still real. I felt like, if she were taken out of this story and dropped into say, a realistic teen fiction sans the paranormal creepy crawlies? I would still love her.

There is some romance, but it's cute and realistic. No - 'I just know we are meant to be together even though we just met and I know nothing about him - seriously, did you see him? He's so perfect and my body makes all these strange noises when he's near, even though I've never had a boy like me before I'm sure he's the only one for me and I cry whenever he walks away, even though I never cry because I'm so different then other girls - it's all him - he does this to me - that has to be love right?'

Sorry, I've had my fill of that type of romance in YA fiction! None of that here!

Reminded Me Of:
Lili St. Crow's Strange Angels series. Young girl, fighting the bad guys that normal society knows nothing about. Living with old secrets and discovering new ones.

Who Would Enjoy It:
Fans of paranormal young adult book (duh :) Also, maybe those who have been reluctant to pick up on the paranormal craze. The story is entertaining and there is lots of action. Also, lots of paranormal elements that work really well together. No wishy washy characters here.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars
One of my top reads of 2010

Books in the Series:
1. Paranormalcy
2. Supernaturally (Fall 2011)
3. Book 3 (?)

Linkage Love:
Harper Teen
Author's Website
Author's Blog
Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Everybody seems to love this book! It's wasn't top of my list, but I think I'll have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I loved this too! Go Evie. I want her to be my bff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review Em - I really liked this one too! :P

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)