Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: The Thorn and The Blossom by Theordora Goss

Reading Level: Adult
Publication Date: January 2012
Publisher: Quirk Books
Pages: 82
Series: no
Acquisition: received for review

Summary:
One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.
When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself . . .
The Thorn and the Blossom is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I don't use this word often but this book was truly a delightful read! Very unique in its telling and in its presentation. We get the dual perspectives of Evelyn Rose Morgan (the blossom) and Brendan Thorne (the thorn). There are two sides to this story, his and hers and you can read either one first. I choose Evelyn and I would recommend you do the same. Once I was done, I flipped the book over and started Brendan's story. Bound up accordion style, this book was unlike any I have ever read. Perhaps a bit awkward to hold at times, but the story itself more then made up for it.

Spanning many years, the story of this thorn and blossom is complicated but it's also routed in the simplistic. Well, as much as true love can be simple.

Pulled together by perhaps forces out of their control and thrown apart by misunderstandings, will they ever find true love? Has their time finally come? Or is no true fantasy fated to receive its happily ever after? You'll have to read this one for yourself to find out!

Final verdict:
I don't think I would have picked this one up on my own so I am very grateful to Quirk for offering it to me for review. It's not a very long story (I read it in one sitting) but it is a very thoughtful story. For skeptics and believers in true love alike, The Thorne and The Blossom is a heartwarming tale that will leave you with many questions but also with some very happy answers.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Author's website
Goodreads
IndieBound

4 comments:

  1. I read this recently also and enjoyed it as well. It was a simple, but so sweet story to read. I especially loved the ending of Brendan's side because it offered a little more hope for their love than Evelyn's side. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I agree that Brendan's ending offered more hope - that's why I'm glad I read his story last.

      Delete
  2. I thought the story was too short-I wanted more of it and was disappointed that it was over too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about this one...I think as it's not too long I may give it a go!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)