Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: February 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 273
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: won a copy

Summary:
Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I'm a little ashamed at myself for letting this one sit on my shelf for so long. I absolutely love Kelly's adult series (written as Kelly Gay) so I was pretty sure her YA series and I would be a good fit. And you know what? I was 140% correct because not only did I love this book, I couldn't wait even an hour before picking up and devouring book 2. (*hint* *hint* get them both at once and prepare yourself for awesomeness).

Now, if I were to list out the supernatural and mythological elements contained within the pages of Darkness Becomes Her you might have a few questions and I wouldn't blame you for being a bit hesitant to pick this one up. BUT you would be wrong and I would be awesome (no wait, the book's awesome).

In any case here are just a few fun little goodies you'll find:

Vampires -- the kind that don't sparkle and certainly don't mack on girls 100 years younger then they are.
Witches -- the kick ass kind that you don't want to piss off.
Greek Gods -- very much in your face and full of themselves the way any respectable god should be.
New Orleans -- complete with voodoo, the French Quarter and Lafayette Cemetery.

More? Ok. How about the fact that it's the future (not too distant at all) BUT far enough ahead of time that Kelly is able to sneak in a natural disaster or two that turns much of New Orleans into a urban decay lovers dream come true?

Are you hooked yet? You should be. Not joking here - this book was awesome.

Final verdict:
Mythology and paranormal elements you might not think to wrap up together but somehow (it's probably because she's a goddess herself) Kelly has MADE IT WORK!

To finish off? The romantic elements in Darkness Becomes Her? Actual swoon worthy because the characters actually have substance and merit and their relationship follows a path that makes sense. IT MAKES SENSE PEOPLE! How many YA romances can you say that about these days?

Final final words? READ THIS BOOK NOW!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Gods and Monsters Series:
#1 Darkness Becomes Her
#2 A Beautiful Evil

Linkage Love:
Author's website
Goodreads
IndieBound

2 comments:

  1. I am totally hooked! This book sounds awesome and I am glad you really enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...it does sounds like a bit much...all in one book. I'm curious enough that I might pick it up just to see how she does it!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)