Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, June 4, 2010

Flashback Friday Review: Everworld by K.A. Applegate

Flashback Friday is a feature were I'll review a book that I read as a teen, reread now years later :)

Title: Search for Senna: Everworld Book 1
Author: K. A. Applegate
Publication Date: July 1999
Originally Read: right around the pub date

(from Goodreads)
In the dark past, Zeus and Odin, Huitzilopoctli and Ra, and the other gods of myth decided to abandon the real world. They created another universe, where magic rules, where all the mystery and terror of these capricious immortals holds sway. It is a place where Vikings still sail in the name of Thor, where the Aztecs still make human sacrifices to Huitzilopoctli, and where Merlin still weaves his subtle webs.
For a thousand years and more, Everworld has existed apart from the real world. But now Everworld is in trouble. The cozy universe created by Earth's ancient immortals has been invaded by the creatures of myths that are no part of human tradition. The gods are under attack, divided and terrified. And in this moment of supreme danger, Loki, Norse god of evil, reaches across the barrier between Everworld and the real world to seize a new power: Senna Wales.
Senna carries with her four ordinary high school kids from the Midwest: David, the insecure hero and Senna's love; Christopher, the joker Senna spurned, who hides his own anger and bigotry beneath a glib veneer; Jalil, cold, calculating, and so devoted to rationality he can't even acknowledge his own strange tie to Senna; and April, Senna's half sister — actress, flirt, and Senna's most dangerous enemy.

My thoughts:
I was home from college for the summer, and I can remember my friend 'M' getting into my car and handing me this book.
"It's my brother's. I just finished it and it's good - you have to read it!" she said.
I was more then happy to agree, after all, it was 'M' who convinced me to read the first Harry Potter book. I took her suggestions pretty seriously :)

I can remember being fascinated by the story. One minute these kids are walking towards the shore, the next, they are in this strange land where the normal rules of life do not seem to apply. What led them here? Senna. A strange girl who is definitely more then she appears. The adventures of these unwilling travelers were so enjoyable to read. Caught between the land of Everworld and the real world, they have to fight and cajole their way out of deadly situations while almost simultaneously surviving high school.

Search for Senna is the first in the Everworld series, and sorry to say, the only one I have read. My library seems to have the complete set though so I'm thinking about having a Everworld readathon to try to get through them all!

A great middle grade book. I really think young kids who enjoy action and adventure stories would suck up this series!


Everworld
1. Search for Senna (1999)
2. Land of Loss (1999)
3. Enter the Enchanted (1999)
4. Realm of the Reaper (1999)
5. Discover the Destroyer (1999)
6. Fear the Fantastic (2000)
7. Gateway to the Gods (2000)
8. Brave the Betrayal (1999)
9. Inside the Illusion (2000)
10. Understand the Unknown (2000)
11. Mystify the Magician (2000)
12. Entertain the End (2001)

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! This book definitely looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never finished the series, however what I read was really good

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)