Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Book Review: On A Dark Wing by Jordan Dane

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: December 2011
Pages: 384
Series: no
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
"The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn’t prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher."
Five years ago Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her lucky break came at the expense of her mother’s life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.
Now she’s the target of Death’s Ravens and an innocent boy’s life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey’s secret crush—starts to climb Alaska’s Denali, the Angel of Death is with him because of her.
Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets. (from Goodreads)

I was: Captivated by the exploration of the human capacity for love and it's effect on Death himself.

My thoughts:
On A Dark Wing plays out pretty much the way it's synopsis reads however, I suspect, that like me, you'll be surprised and fascinated with the depth and emotion of this story. I wasn't sure what to think going into it. Stories around Death as a main character are usually really great or really bad for me. I guess I have my own notions on how Death should be portrayed. I was more then happy to realize that Jordan must have gotten into my head at some point because her Death? Pretty much spot on.

Loved Tanner! He is sweet and genuine and he really would do anything for Abby and sure, he might be a tad unrealistic but that's what I love about him. More boys (in books and real life) should act like him!

It took me a little while to warm up to Abby. I couldn't believe some of the things she did, or thought. I guess some of it could be classified as typical teenage behavior but sometimes I really wanted to yell at her. She does figure it all out though - and I don't know if I would have been able to do that.

Final verdict:
On A Dark Wing was a unique read for me. I love paranormal tales but sometimes they can be a bit heavy. The elements of the fantastic in this book were realistic to me. No complicated 'you aren't what you think you are' revelations. Death is a constant in everyone's life and whether you view it has a concept or as conscience being, it isn't too far fetched to believe that depth of human emotion could have an effect on 'him'.

My second Jordan Dane book, and defiantly not my last.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Harlequin Teen
Author's Website
Goodreads
IndieBound

5 comments:

  1. Thank GOODNESS there's not a heavy 'discovering that you're more than what you think you are' piece. that is my LEAST FAVORITE thing about paranormals.

    this sounds fabulous. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I contemplated reading this one, but wasn't sure. Sounds like I should've jumped on it. I'll just have to wait until I get a copy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Death as a character sounds really interesting. (I love the Death in Terry Pratchett's "discworld" books.) I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books where the fantastical elements are woven in in such a way as to seem realistic! I have this one waiting on my shelf (hope to read it soon)!

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. i totally have this in my ng queue. sounds like you really liked it. i'll be interested to see what death if like in this one. every book portrays him/her differently.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)