Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Book Review: Alex Van Helsing Book 1: Vampire Rising by Jason Henderson


Title: Alex Van Helsing Book 1: Vampire Rising
Author: Jason Henderson
Publication Date: May 4, 2010
Tags: vampires, vampire hunters, secret societies
Age: 12+
Pages: approx 224
Series: 1st in a series
Book Acquisition: ARC from Around the World Tours

My Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

(from Goodreads)
A descendant of legendary vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing, fourteen-year-old Alex is stuck at boarding school near Lake Geneva, Switzerland, when he finds himself drawn into a web of paranormal intrigue. It turns out that Lake Geneva is also home to a secret school for vampires called the Scholomance—and now to a dangerous vampire clan lord known only as Icemaker, who’s using the Scholomance for his own dangerous endgame. With the help of his friends and of special agent Sangster, it’s up to Alex to fulfill his family destiny and stop Icemaker’s frightening plans once and for all.
Alex Van Helsing is a showstopping hero set to leap off the page—stake, naturally, in hand. Drawing from centuries of actual vampire lore and literature (and with a nod to zombies, too!), Jason Henderson delivers a breathlessly paced thriller that will captivate vampire fans as well as readers who loved Alex Rider.

My Review:
I need you to do something for me. I need to you try to remember a time long ago. A time before vampires sparkled. Back to a time when the word vampire inspired fear instead of  lust. Can you do it? If you can't, you need to read Alex Van Helsing. Ok, even if you can remember you need to read this book. Why? Because this book is freaken awesome!

I love evil vampires! Vampires are suppose to be evil. And what do we need once we have evil vampires? Vampire hunters of course. Woo hoo!

Alex really has no idea what is happening to him but he adapts quickly. Smart and resourceful, he's such a likable character. The world of vampires that Jason has created is both classic and unique. We get vampires who have no desire to act human. Vampires that are taken straight from the pages of myth and legend. But we also get secret societies, family secrets and hunters with a touch of the paranormal. Also, something I wasn't expecting - a literary mystery. What do Mary Shelley and Lord Byron have to do with modern day vampire hunting? You'll have to read Alex Van Helsing to find out!

I highly recommend this book to fans of good vampire stories. Alex, as a male protagonist, I feel would really appeal to younger male readers. Any fans of good paranormal young adult books would enjoy this one, in my humble opinion of course :)

Can't wait for book 2!

Alex Van Helsing Series:
Book 1: Vampire Rising (May 2010)
Book 2: ? (soon I hope!)

Linkage Love:
Harper Teen
Author's Blog

Tidbits:
*When writing this book, Jason used a ton of great sources including books about: Vampires, Dracula, Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, Zombies and Lord Byron -- I'm sorry, but that's just awesome!

Other Reviews:
Around the World Tours review page - as each of us gets the book, reviews will be posted to the Mr. Linky on this page.

*if you would like your review added please leave me a link in the comments*

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Thank you very kindly for the review. This really made my night. The funny thing is that, when you're writing the book, you spend months sort of heads-down and essentially alone, so you have zero way of knowing how anyone will react. (And this book comes out in May, so heck, we still don't know overall)-- but your kind words made my day.

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL
    I like good vamps who struggle to be good but I loved this review. Thanks for the awesome review and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really loved this one as well! Definitely seems like a series that will be a huge hit with boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on the vampire thing. While I admit to reading all the Twilight series as it was published, and thinking how original, I am having a hard time wrapping my head completely around all the other love stories with vamps.

    This look fantastic and something I will enjoy reading. Fantastic review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I just read Dracula, so it's very easy to imagine evil vampires that don't sparkle!
    A brilliant review, and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)