Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

***2012 Debut Author***
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: January 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury / Walker
Pages: 262
Series: no
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
It's been hard for me to classify this book. It's not purely devoid of the paranormal but at it's core it's more a story of love, friendship and hope then it is a freaky tale of things unknown. Delaney should be dead. Her doctors are stumped, her family is on edge and her best friend is a mess. Everyone is treating her differently. She feels different and soon she begins to fear that dying actual did change her. There is something wrong. Very very wrong. And the only one who seems to be ale to help is the mysterious Troy. A boy that in all good conscience, Delaney should stay far away from. But she can't. He's the only one who knows her secret and the only one she thinks can help. That is as least until Troy's true colors are revealed and then things start to get really interesting.

A bit of a roller-coaster of a ride at times, I found myself unable to put Fracture down. This unexplained 'gift' that Delaney finds herself with is just that - unexplained. We never really get a full explanation as to why it is these things are happening to her. I don't think this lack of closure, however, took anything away from the story.

My absolutely favorite thing about this book is the character Decker, Delaney's best friend. OMG I love him! His loyalty and his love for Delaney and the way his heart almost breaks in two because of everything that happened and is happening - OMG I love him! Did I say that already? Needs to be said twice ;)

Final verdict:
Fans of paranormal YA will love this one, fans of YA romance will love this one but I also think that readers who don't usually read paranormal stories would really love this one as well. The weird and unexplained elements are subtle and at the core of Fracture is a story of friendship and love, not of strange and unusual happenings. It's both these elements, the abnormal and the realistic that drew me in.

A fantastic debut! Megan Miranda is on my watch list and I can't wait to read more from her in the future.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Author's website
Goodreads
IndieBound

5 comments:

  1. I lovee Decker as well! My favorite part by far, and I was a little annoyed the whole "gift" thing was unexplained but I so loved this book. It's all about the relationships, not so much about the paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that this book is not part of a series (there are too many series...). I only read good reviews of this book and can't wait to start reading it. I'm glad you liked it! Thank you for your great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this book was really fun, in a creepy, can't look away kind of way. Glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved Fracture, too! And I agree - Decker was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one too and the first thing I need upon completion was to tweet the author and thank her for writing a stand alone.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)