Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review: The Last Thing I Remember by Andrew Klavan

Title: The Last Thing I Remember
Author: Andrew Klavan
Publication Date: April 2009
Tags: Thriller, Suspense, Action & Adventure
Pages: 352
Series: 1st in the Homelanders Series
Book Acquisition: Other Shelf Tours
My Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

Charlie West is a good kid. He studies hard, trains in martial arts, has just gotten the number of the prettiest girl in his class, and wants to join the air force after graduation. At least, that's the last thing he can remember.
But he has woken up in a nightmare. He's strapped to a chair, and someone outside the door just ordered his death. By calling on his deepest reserves of strength and focus, Charlie manages a desperate escape . . . only to find out that this nightmare isn't ending. There's a whole year of his life that he can't remember--a year in which he was convicted of murdering his best friend and working with terrorists.
Now, with the police hunting him and a band of killers on his trail, he's got to find the answers to some of the deepest questions there are: Who am I? What do I stand for? And how am I going to stay alive?

I was really impressed by this book. I hadn't heard much about it so I didn't really know what to think. I picked it up, intending to read one or two chapters. An hour later I was almost halfway through the book - I just couldn't put it down! It's very action packed, fully of mystery and secrets.

One of the things I liked most was the first person narrative. As a reader, we only know what Charlie knows. We discover his past at the same times he does.We are scared and unsure and confused right along side of him. I love this!  I also loved Charlie. He's really the only character we get to know but it works for the story. He's a good kid, and no matter what others say about him, he believes that he is good. It's what keeps him moving forward. 

On a side note, it was refreshing to read a really good YA thriller without any paranormal elements.

There are so many questions left unanswered and I can't wait to get a hold of a copy of the second book, The Long Way Home.

I would recommend this book to fans of YA thrillers and mysteries.

The Homelanders Series
1. The Last Thing I Remember (April 2009)
2. The Long Way Home (February 2010)

Linkage Love:
Thomas Nelson
Author's Website
Goodreads

Other Reviews:
*if you would like your review added please leave me a link in the comments*

3 comments:

  1. Sounds goood! I like the cover. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to publish more on this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but generally people don't discuss these issues. To the next! Kind regards!!
    jiu jitsu belts junior

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)