Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book Review: Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

Dad? Zombie.
Mom? Long gone.
Me? Well, that's the scary part.

The Real World is a frightening place. Just ask sixteen-year-old orphan Dru Anderson, a tough girl who has taken down her fair share of bad guys. She's armed, dangerous, and ready to kill first and ask questions later. So it's gonna take her a while to figure out who she can trust...

Dru Anderson has been "strange" for as long as she can remember, traveling from town to town with her father to hunt the things that go bump in the night. It's a weird life, but a good one - until it all explodes in an icy, broken-down Dakota town, when a hungry zombie busts through her kitchen door. Alone, terrified, and trapped, Dru's going to need every inch of her wit and training to stay alive. The monsters have decided to hunt back - and this time, Dru's on their menu. Chances of survival? Slim to none.

Have to say, I was a little skeptical at first - Zombies? Monster hunters? My first thought was, darn it, another cheesy horror book. I was so wrong! Not in the least bit typical. Yes there are zombies, as well as other baddies but the story is amazing! Some new twists on old ideas. The action is fast paced with enough real life scenarios to hold your interest. I really liked Dru's inter voice - funny at times, always truthful. She is tough but isn't immune to the things that are happening to her. She's scared but still spunky - she's lonely but determined.
I feel in love with Dru's new found friend Graves. His friendship never wavers even when faced with possible death at the hands of creatures that previously had only existed, for him, in myth and legends. For Dru, battling these horrors are second nature. Her grandmother and father have taught her well. But now, everything has changed. Her grandmother is gone and her father failed. She knows she shouldn't trust anything someone from The Real World tells her, but when the mysterious Christophe appears, she has no choice.

I did not want this book to end! The sequel - Betrayals - is due out in November.
A great YA fantasy, action book - highly recommended.
5 stars.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who was skeptical about the book. I still haven't read it, but it is in my TBR pile. May end up getting around to it sooner than later now.

    Glad to hear that you are having fun with your new blog. It seems to have taken over my life in a short period of time. Thank you for the compliments on my site. I love the layout on yours. I kept trying to get the extra column on mine, but eventually gave up. I think I am happy with my site overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one too! I love fantasy and this one sounds great. I'll have to try to grab a copy somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read this book, I was just starting to ease my way into the whole, vampire, werewolf thing. This was actually my first book with Zombies. lol. So I was pretty worried about whether or not I'd like this book. Don't get me wrong, I'd read and loved supernatural books before but they had to do with reincarnation, ESP, etc.

    However, I really enjoyed this book and I just loved Graves. Too bad he ain't real, eh? :P I'm glad you liked it as well and I can't wait for Betrayals. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you really liked this one. My initial reaction would be the same, cheesy horror. But I am adding it to my list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting story. I'm definitely adding this book to my list to buy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)