Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 31, 2011

What has you spooked?


Happy Halloween everyone!

Now, I'm not a seasonal reader - I don't search out books about Christmas in December or beach reads during the summer. 

I do however enjoy a good scare and at this time of year, it's fun to remember past readings that had me spooked! 

In honor of Halloween, I bring to you a sample of books I've read over the last year that got my blood boiling and perhaps lead me to sleep with the lights on!

Lockdown (Escape from Furnace #1) by Alexander Gordon Smith
Futuristic, dystopian world where the young have no say or control over what happens to them, especially after they are sent to Furnace. Gave me chills and ended on a great cliff hanger.
(full review)

Human .4 by Mike A. Lancaster
Technology brought to the extreme...and done right under our noses. What if you woke up one day and everything you thought was true about your world was shattered? This book freaks me out (in a good way!) if I think about it too much.
(full review)

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Pictures. Creepy picture of creepy things in creepy situations combined with a fantastic story that left me breathless. A book to read, close, and walk away from slowly...until it draws you in again and you can't help but look one more time.
(full review)

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch
Creepy because it just feels so real! This could be our world and that terrifies me. Dystopian like it's meant to be - scary as hell.
(full review)

The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle
That cover! I really can't look at it for very long. Fortunately, the story that goes along with it is equally creepy. Gets under your skin kind of creepy. Doesn't let you look away kind of creepy. Just the way I like it :)
(full review)



So, what spooky books have you read this year?

3 comments:

  1. Oooo I want to try Human 4 and the 11th Plague.
    Happy Halloween :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Miss Peregrine's! Creepy vintage pictures from Ranson Riggs = perfect for Halloween. The book is amazing, but I don't think it's nearly as creepy as the actual pictures are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually haven't read very many sppoky reads this year. But the one I did read and enjoy was Dark Eden by Patrick Carman; Still about half-way through The Monstrumologist (I had to put reading it on hold while I caught up on review books).

    I'm definitely going to have to look into all the books you listed (could always stand to read more scary books).

    You know what, the photo with all the pumpkins at the top, I think I went to that a few years ago. =)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)