Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, August 5, 2016

Book Review: Safekeeping by Karen Hesse

Genre: YA Futuristic Dystopian Adventure
Publication: paperback January 2016 by Square Fish
Acquisition: bought

Synopsis:
The president is assassinated, the government has been taken over, and all hell is breaking loose.

Radley's parents warned her that all hell would break loose if the American People's Party took power. The news is filled with images of vigilante groups, frenzied looting, and police raids. It seems as if all hell has broken loose.

Coming back from volunteering abroad, Radley just wants to get home to Vermont. When her plane lands in New Hampshire, her parents-who always come, day or night, no matter when or where she lands-aren't there. Her cell phone is dead, her credit cards are worthless, and she doesn't have the proper travel papers to cross state lines. Out of options, Radley starts walking. . . .

This is a vision of a future America that only Karen Hesse could write: real, gripping, and deeply personal.
(from Goodreads)

5 / 5 Stars

I bought Safekeeping because I saw it in my local indie bookstore and it takes place practically in my backyard. My silly little NH 'city' is even mentioned by name! Hehehe

Oh - and also, the story sounded fabulous!

Well, I was right - the story was fabulous AND the place based details were totally spot on! The author actually walked the route Radley took - from Manchester NH to Brattleboro VT in order to write as realisticly as possible.

One thing I'm bummed about -- the paperback (which I bought) doesn't have the photographs the author took on her journey. I might just need to make another purchase.

Getting back to the story - I loved it. It's the future and American political society has actually fallen and one girl finds herself thousands of miles away when it all goes down. She makes it as close as she can but nothing is as it has been and she has to fight her way home.

Safekeeping is so very realistic. It's one girl's story but it could be anyone's. One thing I hate about some dystopian or post apocalyptic stories is the all encompassing change that effects everything systematically. A bigger power takes control or another governing body steps in and it's like a new chapter has started and everyone just has to go on from there.

Safekeeping isn't like that. Society is in shambles but not all of it is completely gone and nothing is 'changing' in a dramatic way. It's more chaotic which is how I see it all going down IRL.

I loved, loved, loved the journey Radley took- it feels like the sort of thing I would do if I were in her shoes.

At under 200 pages, I ate this one up! I loved the setting, and the characters. I loved what Radley does and why. I loved how real it all felt - which is actually pretty terrifying. And I also loved the ending! Not what I was expecting but it was pretty perfect!

I highly recommend Safekeeping to fans of YA futuristic, dystopian, thrillers - especially if you're looking for a quick read with staying power.



No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)