Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Review: The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien

Book #1 of The Vault of Dreamers series
Genre: YA Futuristic Sci-fi Mystery
Publication: September 2014 by Roaring Brook Press
Acquisition: received a free ARC for review

Synopsis:
The Forge School is the most prestigious arts school in the country. The secret to its success: every moment of the students' lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show, and the students' schedule includes twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance creativity. But when first year student Rosie Sinclair skips her sleeping pill, she discovers there is something off about Forge. In fact, she suspects that there are sinister things going on deep below the reaches of the cameras in the school. What's worse is, she starts to notice that the edges of her consciousness do not feel quite right. And soon, she unearths the ghastly secret that the Forge School is hiding—and what it truly means to dream there.
(from Goodreads)

3.5 / 5 Stars


This one was an okay read for me. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.

Actually, that's wrong - I did love it at first. I flew through the first 2/3 of the book.

But then.

I don't know - the ending really really really didn't work for me.

I was able to make a pretty instant connection to the MC Rosie. She's easy to relate to. Unsure of herself, yet determined to reach her goals. Realistic but hopeful. I really liked her. The Forge School is a place I can see actually existing in a futuristic / post dystopian world.

So, realistic and likable and happy good things.

And then! Bad stuff happens!!

Well of course it does, you knew that going in. And it seemed really really bad. And I'm all like:

"Go Rosie go!"
"Fight The Man"
"Save the day!"
"You can do it!"

And now we're at the big climatic ending and everything is revealed and it's all so....not horrible.

Ok - maybe a lot of it is...but not all of it...and you know, I kind of understood what this 'villain' was trying to accomplish. And yes, it wasn't done in the best way but still...now I'm all like:

"Rosie why are you still freaking out?"
"I think you're just making things worse."
"Maybe you should calm down a little?"
"Ok, you're not calming down...and...oh, there it is..."

NOW everything is horrible. Like, creepy and weird and I had to read that last chapter or so a few times to make sure I actually understood what was happening and oh no!

Did the ending feel rushed? A little out of left field? Maybe I wasn't paying attention as much as I thought I was?

Probably all of this and more.

But - have to say - I've added book 2 to my wishlist.

Because Rosie - oh Rosie -- I NEED to know what happens to her and I think if you read The Vault of Dreamers you would feel the same way.



No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)