Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, November 19, 2010

Book Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Age: 12+
Publication Date: October 2010
Pages: 180
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: ARC from NetGalley

Summary:
“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons? (Goodreads)

Quick thoughts:
Wholly different from anything I have ever read. Part dramatic teen drama, part paranormal fantasy.

Likes:
The whole premise was pretty fascinating. The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse aren't what I imagined them to be. A new Famine is needed and Lisa, who has yet to come to terms with her anorexia, has been chosen. It's only after seeing true famine in the world that she faces her own troubles.

The way Lisa interacts with the other Horsemen was very enjoyable to read and I especially liked Death.

Dislikes:
I loved Lisa as a character but some of the other supporting characters I had a hard time feeling connected to. It's clear the her family and friends care about her but I didn't feel like we got enough of them.

Also, I took it on fact that the horsemen, and Lisa's involvement with them were true. But, I think one could argue that they could have been all in Lisa's head. Her way of dealing (or not) with her problems. I personally like the paranormal elements present but if we render them as delusions, a lot of the story looses it's meaning for me.

Final thoughts:
Using the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as a means to an end for a girl with a very serious eating disorder was a pretty strange concept to read about. I do think that Jackie made it work and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5

Books in the Series:
Hunger
Rage (April 2011)

Linkage Love:
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Author's Website
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way-I think the other characters were meant to be minor but I felt like they could've been fleshed out a bit better... still, it was all about Lisa and she did get better :)

    GASP. You didn't mention her awesome horse! That horse was one of my favorite characters, lol.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)