Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Book Review: Fledgling: Jason Steed by Mark A. Cooper

Age: 9+
Publication Date: September 2010 (reprint)
Pages: 240
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: received an ARC for review

Summary:
Tormented by his mother's death...
Taken for granted by his father...
Trained in deadly martial arts...
Jason Steed is looking for a place to call home. He finds what he's looking for in the Sea Cadets-an elite group of British youngsters being groomed for lifelong service in the military. But when a routine training exercise goes awry, Jason finds himself in the middle of a secret mission. The future of the world hangs in the balance...and Jason might be the only one who can save it. (from Amazon)

Quick thoughts:
Very different from what I usually read. Not of fan of war stories but I couldn't help but love Jason.

Likes:
Such a well told story. When I read, it's like a movie is running through my head. I was able to envision each scene of this book and I love when that happens. Shinning as the star of my little head production was Jason. We meet him at birth and follow him for the next 11 years. His overbearing father, his extreme intelligence and rationality, his childhood friendship with a royal princess. It's all pretty amazing.

Dislikes:
Under circumstances out of his control, Jason is thrust into the heat of battle. War - in all it's horrific glory. There were a few particular scenes that I had a hard time getting through. I'm not a fan of war at all - in  movies, in books, in newspapers or magazines. War is something my brain has a hard time processing. The brutality, the destruction, the complete disregard for human life.

Jason is fighting in a war and he's 11. He experiences some things and does a few other things that I had a very, very hard time with.

Now, I might be overall cautious here but I would highly recommend that parents, teachers and the like read this book first before handing it off to the middle grade crowd. Do I think kids will enjoy it? Yes, but the adults in their lives should know what they are reading, if for no other reason then for the questions that might arise.

Reminded me of:
Totally out of my normal genre so I really have nothing to compare the story to. Jason, however, very much reminded me of Artemis Fowl.

Final thoughts:
A good read. A powerful book that will stay with me. It was both lighthearted and extremely deep and moving.

Overall Rating:
3 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Sourcebooks
Author's Website
Goodreads

Tidbits:
*Fledgling was originally self-published by Infinity in 2008

1 comment:

  1. What a nice review. I have different thoughts to war, I was the same when I let my 8 year old read the 'Boy in the stripped Pajamas'. But he loved that, it also gave me a chance to discuss this with him and answer questions.
    I will buy this book for Christmas for him, I was thinking about it after reading that his is also 'Malia Obamas' (Presidents daughter) favorite book.

    Thank you for this and all your reviews, I will continue to take your advice and select books you suggest.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)