Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Review: The Twin's Daughter by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Age: 14+
Publication Date: August 2010
Tags: family secrets, mystery, murder
Pages: approx 304
Series: no
Book Acquisition: received ARC from the publisher
My Rating: 3.5 / 5 Stars

Book Summary:
Lucy Sexton is stunned when a disheveled woman appears at the door one day... a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Lucy's own beautiful mother. It turns out the two women are identical twins, separated at birth, and raised in dramatically different circumstances. Lucy's mother quickly resolves to give her less fortunate sister the kind of life she has never known. And the transformation in Aunt Helen is indeed remarkable. But when Helen begins to imitate her sister in every way, even Lucy isn't sure at times which twin is which. Can Helen really be trusted, or does her sweet face mask a chilling agenda? 
Filled with shocking twists and turns, The Twin's Daughter is an engrossing gothic novel of betrayal, jealousy, and treacherous secrets that will keep you guessing to the very end. (from Goodreads)

Quick Thoughts:
I was a little disappointed. Not really the thriller I was expecting and I saw the twists coming. There were a few surprises but I felt that they were bogged down by the overall heftiness of the book. There was an unexpected romance aspect to the book that I found very sweet.

My Review:
It was very easy for me to slip into the voice of Lucy and follow her around her strange family. A bit slow moving in the beginning, but overall I think the flow worked well for the story. I felt like I really got to know Lucy and her world.

This book is long and I have to say, I really thought the slow moving pace would get to me after a while. And I guess I kept waiting for it to get to me. I was almost done with the book before I realized that the pace wasn't bothering me at all! In fact, I couldn't wait to turn each page. Even though I was pretty sure I knew what was coming, the journey to get there was pretty fantastic.

So, a half and half book for me. Some things I liked, some things I didn't. Overall though, I would still recommend The Twin's Daughter to others.

Reminded Me Of:
Can't really say...It is a pretty unique story.

Who Would Enjoy It:
Fans of young adult gothic novels who are looking for a change of pace. No paranormal elements, no drastically weird or different characters or situations. The Twin's Daughter is pretty much all narrative fiction with twits, that even though I didn't particular enjoy, I do think other readers would.

Linkage Love:
Publisher's website
Author's Website
Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didnt really like the book. But I think I will give a try since I love mystery. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...this one just sounds too weird for me, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I'm Cj coming from The Sunday Blues. Am a new follower of Red House Books. =)

    I love the book cover because it apply the optic illusion technique. From one perspective I can see the twins and from another I can see a dagger. Great!

    The story is quite intriguing. I got two books of twin characters and this book caught mt attention. Thanks for the honest review!!

    CJ @ coffeecrackers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making a stop from The Sunday Blues. Sorry overall it was disappointing. I like the cover. The Summary sounds really good. Kind of like Single White Female and other stories where someone comes in and takes over someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)