Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Review: Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Publication Date: September 2010
Pages: 400
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: received an ARC at BEA10

Summary:
For years, Jacob Reckless has been secretly disappearing to another world, a world behind a mirror, a world for which his father abandoned his family. The mirror world is Jacob's escape from reality. It's a place for treasure hunts and magnificent quests. A world where witches haunt the forests and giants and dwarfs roam. A world locked in a deadly war.
Jacob's secret seems safe, until one day his younger brother Will follows him, with disastrous consequence. Faced with a curse that is quickly turning Will to stone, the Reckless brothers are thrust into a race against time to find a cure before Will is lost forever.
Inspired by the Brothers Grimm, master storyteller Cornelia Funke introduces a lush, enchanting world where fantasy meets reality. Reckless is a thrilling adventure, a tale of heroism and loyalty, filled with danger, mystery, and magic--with fairy tales and legends re-imagined as never before. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Simply fantastic!  There were so many things I loved about Reckless. The fantasy, the mystery, the adventure. Such generic terms I know, but in the hands of Cornelia Funke, they become magic.

The world Cornelia has created is filled with incredible creatures. Some right out of myths and legends. Some from our very own world. But most seem to be beings of pure fantasy and I so envy her imagination.

So much happens in such a short amount of time but I never felt like the story was rushed.  With only the smallest background given for some characters, I still felt an incredible connection to them. I was in their world because the words brought me there. Completely involved with the story - ever page sucked me in harder. I love when that happens!

Reminded me of:
No surprise here - Reckless very much reminded me of Cornelia's Inkheart series. They take place in different fantasy worlds but the feel is the same. If you enjoyed Inkheart you'll love Reckless.

Final verdict:
Overall - a really big win! I love how seamlessly Cornelia blends reality and fantasy.

If you're a fan of fantasy, YA or otherwise,  I HIGHLY recommend Reckless. It's a book to get lost in, a book you'll find yourself missing after you turn the last page.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Little Brown and Company
Author's Website
Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. A brilliant review! I loved Inkhart, and all of the books by Cornelia Funke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 You got it posted before me even lol. See how far behind I am? And on my reader nonetheless... haha. Hope you're reading a bunch of other awesome books too hon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reckless is a brilliant story which is highly well written and edited. The use of many different elements of fairy tales, such as the gold ball from "The Frog Prince" and Jacob's possessing a strand of Rapunsel's hair from which he forms a rope, is original and fascinating. The many characters in Reckless are totally believable and will draw the reader into the story. There is good action and suspense throughout the entire book, but the writing is complex and demands intelligence on the part of the reader.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)