Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: In the Mood for Dystopian


Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week's topic is Top Ten book to read if you're in the mood for X -- my X is dystopian!

Dystopian is the (not so) new popular and trend setting topic of tons of recent books. YA, Middle Grade, Adult - it's everywhere!
It's also a term that is thrown around and attached to novels a bit too willy nilly for my liking.

A dystipian society or world is at it's essence, un-utopian. It's a really bad place and it's inhabitants got to this really bad place because of really bad things happening. At least that's the way I see it.

So, for me at least, this means that futuristic does not automatically equal dystopian. Futuristic setting could be dystopian but the single fact of it taking place in the future doesn't make it so. I'm thinking The Lunar Chronicles, which to me, aren't dystopian stories but many define as such.

Also, a world or society could be at the very beginnings of a possibly distopia - but my mind likes to categorize these as apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic.
Things are bad right this minute (apocalyptic) but who knows what the future holds (utopia or dystopia) OR things were really bad in the near past (post-apocalyptic) and the effects are still being felt but again, things haven't settled yet (into utopia or dystopia).

Many would say I'm splitting hairs here and I would agree - but it's just the way my mind categorizes it all :)

With that all said here are my Top 10 7 books to pick if you are in the mood for a dystiopian read :)







1 comment:



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)