Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: Fury by Elizabeth Miles


***2011 Debut Author***

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: August 2011
Pages: 352
Series: 1st in The Fury Trilogy
Acquisition: BEA 2011

Summary:
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.
Em and Chase have been chosen.(from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
One of the things I loved best about Fury was the way in which the paranormal elements of the story were introduced. As a reader, I knew what was going on but the characters I was reading about didn't. I could scream at them all I wanted to 'not open that door' or to not 'run up those stairs' but in true horror movie fashion, they never listened. They were in the dark and even though their sleepy little Maine town was neck deep in some pretty freaky paranormal trouble, they never saw it coming.

The characters in Fury were interesting. Em is a pretty average high school girl - complete with flaws that most people, regardless of age, possess. We don't see much of Gabby, Em's best friend, even though she plays a huge part in what happens to Em. And the parts I did see of her, I didn't like much. It was hard to envision her and Em being as close as they say they are. But I could understand why they were friends. How they played off of each other and when it came down to it, they were there for each other. Zach is an ass and it got to me how neither Em or Gabby can see this about him. I also had some issues with what exactly happens (and doesn't happen) to him...but you'll have to read Fury for yourself to know what I'm talking about :)

There are a lot of other characters involved in the complex story behind the strangeness going on. I loved how every character has a purpose. Everyone was important and people were connected in ways that you didn't always see coming.

The entire concept of Fury was new and intriguing to me and once I really got into the story, I found it a hard book to put down. There were a bunch of unanswered questions for me and I'm really interested to find out what happens next.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Books in The Fury Trilogy:
Fury
Envy (Oct 2012)
Eternity (?)

Linkage Love:
Simon and Schuster / Simon Pulse
Author's Website
Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this even though it sounds great. Glad you enjoyed it, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been resisting adding this book to my TBR pile because I HATE the cover. I really, really hate it. But after reading your review, I think I might want to read it after all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the fact that I haven't read a story like this for which sets it apart from all the other reads, and the climax is very detailed that you can vividly picture it as you read along. As for the characters even the protagonist, Emily "Em", I didn't quite like. It was hard to build any emotions towards the characters, however, I did feel pity for Chase and was starting to like him a bit.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)