Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mini Review: Kin by Holly Black

Publication Date: October 2008
Book Acquisition: received as a gift
Book Summary:
Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world. (from Goodreads)

Review:
This graphic novel, with illustrations by Ted Naifeh, was a complete surprise to me. I had no idea Holly Black had written a graphic novel series. A very pleasant surprise, I might add.

A darker look at the world of faerie, in Kin we meet Rue, a street wise, tough as nails girl. Her world is turned upside down when her mother goes missing. Little does she know, this is only the beginning of her problems.

A quick read, like a lot of graphic novels, I very much enjoyed Holly Black's telling of the melding of the faerie and human worlds.

If you're a fan of Holly's then you'll love this one. I'm slowly becoming a pretty big fan of graphic novels in general and this series roped me in quick. Can't wait to get my hands on the next books.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in The Good Neighbors Series:
Kin
Kith
Kind

**In my Mimi Reviews I explore older,sometimes obscure books I have found in my travels and wish to share with my readers**

2 comments:

  1. Ted Naifeh is one of my favorite graphic novel illustrators and I love this series written by the awesome Holly Black. Glad it's getting you into Graphic Novels. You may want to try Courtney Crumrin which is penned by Ted as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been 'into' graphic novels, but I do like the sound of this one. I really must give one of Holly's books a go.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)