Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Review: Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

Sometimes high school really is a matter of life and death.
Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is. Even worse: she's dead. And all because of a guy and a gummy bear.

In this satirical yet heartfelt novel, Tonya Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.
(back cover)

Charlotte Usher is dead but she isn't taking it very well. She's pissed that a gummy bear did her in and she isn't about to let a little thing like death stand in the way of her getting the perfect Midnight Kiss from her high school crush or winning the respect of Miss Popularity.
I only had one major problem with this book - I could not stand Charlotte! She was selfish, shallow and well, kinda stupid to boot. Surprisingly, this didn't ruin the book for me :)
Through the course of her mandatory attendance Dead Ed with the other Dead Kids, and all the trouble she gets herself into trying to win over her crush Damen, Charlotte meets up with some pretty cool characters. My favorite is Scarlet - the only living person who can see Charlotte.
There were some plot holes to contend with - no mention of Charlotte's family - the fact that there wasn't even 1 person who Charlotte was friendly with before she died - the stereotypical popular girls who in the end, really didn't play all that big a part in the story. I could go on but I don't want to give the wrong idea. I actually really liked this book. A quick read, funny at times, with likable characters (ok, maybe not Charlotte, but I liked everyone else :)
Hurley has written a sequel and I'm curious to see how the story plays out further.
All and all - I give 3 stars.

4 comments:

  1. Not the best book, but I thought it entertaining enough. Gotta love the cover too.

    I have an award for you on my blog:

    http://www.bookworminginthe21stcentury.com/2009/07/contest-winner-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. i thought about getting it but i guess i should wait until they have it at the library or something because the book is like what 15 bucks? meh but ill still really like to read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come across a lot of people who just thought this book was okay or liked it but thought it could use some work. I think I'm going to pass on this one. I appreciate your honest review.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. HMMM, maybe this would be one for the library list. The cover doesn't do it for me, I would not even look twice at it.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)