Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Standing the Test of Time

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hi guys, today in Top Ten land we are talking about books we feel differently about after time has passed.

Here are 10 6 books that time has changed my opinion about.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
THEN = LOVE
Like I really really loved it. I recommended it to EVERYONE! I thought it was such a fantastic sci-fi. It was so so good and I was so upset that book 2 wasn't actually going to happen and I was so so happy when I heard a movie was coming out. It was spectacular.

NOW = HATE
I think past Emily was an idiot. I made a friend read it recently and she almost couldn't finish it. She hated the romance, and I was like, what romance...and then I really started to think about it and I re-read a few parts and OMG it was horrible. I was so caught up on the sci-fi (mostly because I had been in a sci-fi reading slump at the time) that I basically ignored everything else about the book - including the characters, plot, setting, words....yeah....
Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
THEN = MEH
I read the entire series cause I really wanted to know what the hype was all about and for reasons I still can't explain, I really wanted to see how the story played out. I thought it was fluff and nonsense and it would be forgotten in no time at all.

NOW = SO MUCH HATE
I hate it for so many reasons but mostly because it made being a stalker pedophile 'sexy'. I brushed off Edward's totally inappropriate behavior because Bella was just so ridiculous, I really didn't care what happened to her. I never ever ever thought it would turn into anything. So many people have read it and so many people want to be 'in love' just like Bella and Edward (barf!) and OMG because of it, 50 shades of absolutely horribleness is something that actual exists.
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
THEN = ALL THE LOVE
Do I really need to talk about why I loved it so much? No, I didn't think so :) Seriously, I knew I would never not love these books!

NOW = MORE LOVE THEN I THOUGHT WAS POSSIBLE
Even more seriously. Time has only strengthened my love for Harry Potter and his fantastic world!
Across the Universe by Beth Revis
THEN = LOVE
It was so good! Closed in, space, dystopian, mystery, thriller, romance, sci-fi - it had so much going for it! I wanted to re-read it and then read book 2 and then re-read it again and read book 3.

NOW = MEH
I never actually read books 2 or 3...they are sitting there on my shelf...but I don't have any driving desire to pick them up...I don't know why but the shininess kinda wore off.
The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins
THEN = MEH
It was good and it got a lot of hype so I thought it should be good and I did think it was good but...nothing special.

NOW = PRETTY DARN FABULOUS
Why? Because it stuck with me. It's still here, in my head and I find myself thinking about the characters every once in a while and I recommend it a lot and that wouldn't happen if it was just a meh read. Meh reads are forgotten about. The Girl on the Train is still here - at least for now.
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
THEN = LOVE
So many things going on and it was so complex and detailed and rich in character development and plot and setting and I couldn't put it down.

NOW = MEH
The fact that it's going to be 7 books...I don't know. It's a lot and there was all ready so much said in 1 book (ok 2, I did read book 2) that I can't see how much more could be drawn out of the story without it getting old. I could be totally wrong and maybe I will pick up book 3 (and 4 and 5 and...) but right now I'm not really feeling it.
Wow! That's a whole lotta feelings right there!
What about you guys?
What books have time changed your opinion on?

2 comments:

  1. I agree about Twilight - - everyone is putting it on their lists!

    I haven't read The Girl on the Train although I do have the audio version. I've heard mixed reviews but your post is making me think I need to give it a listen.

    Here is my TTT: http://www.psychoticstate.net/2016/05/top-ten-tuesday-may-24-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read The Bone Season forever, but I also don't know about committing to seven books. I'm going to try the first and and see how it strikes me. There are other series that definitely demonstrate the problem you mention -- so much of the imagination and ideas going into the first book, then the others trailing off disappointingly.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)