Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) by Michelle Hodkin

** SPOILER FREE ** ** SPOILER FREE ** ** SPOILER FREE **

"Where Mara Dyer is concerned, NEEDING to know how everything ends amounts to a type of obsession. "
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: October 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 544
Series: 2nd in the Mara Dyer series
Acquisition: I won an ARC from the publisher

Summary:
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.
She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next? (from Goodreads)

MY THOUGHTS:
Wow. Ok. This is a hard one.

So...um...yeah…

VERY hard to review this one without giving away anything and believe, me you do not want this one spoiled for you. No worries though - I'm giving nothing away!

After the dramatic, traumatic, manic, panic, heart in your throat roller coast ride that was Mara Dyer book 1 you would expect nothing less from book 2 - correct? I know I didn't. While by the end I was (mostly) satisfied it wasn't all butterflies and rainbows for me while reading. In fact, I was pretty pissed off for large chunks of this book.

I had TONS of theories as to what exactly was going on with Mara. Some, I'm happy to say, I was right about. Others I was completely wrong about. AND THEN! Hodkin's threw in some total what-the-f-ery. Starting with chapter 16. OMG chapter 16 almost brought about a cold freeze -- literally, as books that piss me off tend to end up in my freezer (don't ask...really...just don't).

So, I was confused, I was upset, I was mad but what's really important is that at no point did I ever consider giving up on Mara because again - OMG WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE!?

Did I like the turn(s) of events? I think so….

Do I agree with the things that happen(ed) and why? Not sure…

Did The Evolution of Mara Dyer make me feel all the feelings? Most defiantly.

FINAL VERDICT:
Despite some pissiness caused by the story line, my exclamations of "OMG that doesn’t make a lick of sense! ...ok...so maybe a little… *grumble* *grumble* ok, I get it now" and some cringe worthy scenes (romantic? disgusting? Way too unbelievable? --- not telling!) -- all in all I would have to say that I very much enjoyed this book.

If anything though, I almost feel like too much was revealed. Book 1 had so many possibilities floating around and book 2 kind of throws them all in your face at once. Some might say that there is still a lot left to discover and a lot left to flesh out both character and plot wise and while this is true, I also feel like some of the mystery is gone.

BUT! On the flip side of this, if NOTHING was revealed I don't know that I would have enjoyed it as much as I did.

WILL I CONTINUE WITH THIS SERIES?: Um - YES! Even if I hated this book (which I very much didn't) I would have to read book 3.

Where Mara Dyer is concerned, NEEDING to know how everything ends amounts to a type of obsession.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Books in the Mara Dyer Series:
#1 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
#2 The Evolution of Mara Dyer
#3 The Retribution of Mara Dyer (2013)

6 comments:

  1. Don't you hate book 2 sometimes? I had a recent similar experience? I wish more authors would do duologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about this one after reading your review. I loved book one but I also really loved the mystery of it. I don't like the idea of too much being revealed. However I'm definitely still going to give it a chance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie!

      I did like book 1 more BUT I'm still glad I read this one and I'm super excited for book 3. I have a feeling there might be more going on - like the twist in chapter 16? I'm hoping for something similar coming up next :)

      Delete
  3. can definitely understand....its the middle book syndrome again...i hope.

    i really want to read this book, after reading that complexly uberbrilliant book 1.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate middle book syndrome. This one wasn't nearly as bad as some others.

      And I agree about the uberbriliantness of book 1 :)

      Delete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)