Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman

"A perfect ally executed thriller that messed with my mind in all the right ways "
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: August 2012
Publisher: Walker Children's
Pages: 422
Series: no
Acquisition: I received an ARC free for review from the publisher

Summary:
Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins-so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they've lived with since their parents passed away, can't tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong-especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself? (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
There is really a lot I want so say about this book but it all really boils down to - holy mind f-ery Batman!

Beautiful Lies is a psychological thriller at it's best, made all the more poignant by it's first person narrative.

Twins Alice and Rachel share everything, including each other's pain. When one goes missing, the other knows something horrible has happened but no one will believe her. The reasons no one believes her were a total plot twist - and this is only in the first couple of chapters. With such a big 'secret' revealed so early on I was preparing myself for a disappointing climax. I really had no reason to worry however.

Beautiful Lies ends just as powerfully as it begins. Some serious edge of my seat reading was happening by those last couple of chapters! Even if I could have plotted out what I thought was going to happen I wouldn't have been prepared for the emotion behind it all.

Final verdict:
This book is amazing - Warman as done it again!

I really had no idea how things were going to play out until it was all over - and even then I was still left with a few questions. A perfect ally executed thriller that messed with my mind in all the right ways.

If you're looking for a neat and tidy happily ever after, Beautiful Lies might not be for you. BUT If you're looking for a healthy dose of actually being scared out of your mind then you need to get this book now!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I love mind f's! That's so awesome that Beautiful Lies was good, I can't wait to read this. :-)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)