Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 20, 2011

Book Review: Undercurrent (Siren #2) by Tricia Rayburn

***SPOILER FREE***
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: July 12, 2011
Pages: 352
Series: 2nd in a trilogy
Acquisition: BEA 2011

Summary:
After losing her sister and finding out who- or what- she really is, Vanessa returns home for her senior year. Everyone at Hawthorne Prep has questions about her tragic summer, but knowing who to open up to is impossible. As she walks the halls without Justine for the very first time, Vanessa has more to worry about than just making a new life for herself.
Because the sirens are out for revenge. To protect herself and the ones she loves, Vanessa must call on powers she believes she has but does not know how to use. To learn, she'll have to seek help from the only person who truly knows her. But first, she must admit the truth about her real identity.(from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Undercurrent picks up only a short time after Siren ends. I really love when sequels do this. I don't like missing out on anything so it was refreshing to be put right back in the action, so to speak.

Overall though, I have to say I was a little disappointed. I absolutely loved Siren and I couldn't wait to read the sequel. But...well...I didn't love it. There were parts that I loved and there were parts that I hated and everything else fell a little flat. The writing itself was very well done and very well played out but the story and the characters weren't what I was expecting.

I'm saddened by this because I loved the storyline of Siren. I loved the characters and I loved the plot. Undercurrent very much felt like a bridge book. Things happened that needed to happen to move the series along but a lot of the book felt like filler. And...a pet peeve of mine….there is a love triangle. I hate love triangles. That's just me though.

Because of these reasons, I found myself growing distant with Vanessa. This shouldn't happen. I should be invested in her and her life and her story and her feelings and….at times I found myself really annoyed with her. There were also some logistical things that got to me. Too many 6 hour drives up and down the east coast that didn't feel right fitting into the timeline.

Final verdict:
Am I sorry I read it? Absolutely not. While it might not have been my cup of tea and while Vanessa herself might have lost some appeal to me, I am invested in the story and the world that Tricia has created. I need to know what happens! With one? more book in the series to go, I'm very much wishing it were already in my hot little hands!

Overall Rating:
3 / 5 Stars

Books in the Siren Series:
Siren -- My Review
Undercurrent
Book 3?

Linkage Love:
Egmont USA
Author's Website
Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Remember how you got this for me? Well I thought it was the first one, so I haven't read it yet...or Siren. But I plan on picking that one up soon! I had to skip the review (I know you don't post spoilers) and the Goodreads synopsis, just in case though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, bummer. I've been really looking forward to this one - but love triangle is quickly becoming a dirty word in my vocabulary. I am SO SICK of them! Glad you warned me, I'll still be reading it - but I won't have my expectations set too high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I really liked Siren even though a lot of people were just like eh about the book. Learning that this book falls flat though is hugely disappointing. I was so happy when I got this one at BEA! I will still read it, but thanks for the warning ^^

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)