Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review: Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: October 12, 2010
Pages: 352
Series: no
Acquisition: BEA10

Summary:
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.
With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin? (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
A bit more mature than other YA paranormal books out there. The characters were older - college age. I've heard some YA authors say that it's almost impossible to get a book published as YA if the characters aren't in high school or younger. I don't know how true this is but in the case of Hold Me Closer Necromancer, I think the older age of the characters worked to the book's advantage. There was less teenage angst and more real world problem solving which was kind of refreshing

Lots of kick ass paranormal characters - werewolves, necromancers, witches, ghosts, fey -- and NO vampires ;) The human characters were pretty cool too. Sam has some true friends. Friends who would do just about anything for him. They added a level of depth to the story that really appealed to me.

Most of the book is from Sam's first person, point of view. But chapters that he wasn't involved in were in third person. It wasn't as confusing as it may sound. I actually really enjoyed it because I got, not only Sam's perspective, but also those of the supporting cast.

Final verdict:
I'm glad it is a YA book because otherwise I might not have read it. I could also see this book working for an older audience.  There was one sex scene but it wasn't at all graphic or detailed. Some drinking, but nothing over the top. Like I said, it totally worked for me. Might not for others but I really enjoyed it.

A YA paranormal tale with a little something different. I'm a fan!

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Henry Holt
Author's Website
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I got good vibes from this book once I saw it. And I'm so glad you pointed out that the characters were of college age--I'm interested in reading more YA where the people aren't 15, 16, etc. Lol @the no vampires comment. xDDD

    Great review! ;)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)