Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 1, 2010

Book Review: Hide!!! By Jeff Foxworthy, Illustrated by Steve Bjorkman

Age: 4-7
Publication Date: October 2010
Acquisition: received finished copy for review

Summary:
On a Saturday morning
Like many before
The kids were all restless.
In fact, they were bored.
It had finally stopped raining
After nearly a week
Then they had an idea,
'Let's play hide and seek!'
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy tells the story of a neighborhood hide and seek game and invites readers to join in! With vivid illustrations and a hearty dose of silliness, each page includes a hidden child, a seeker, and a whole bunch of other hidden objects for kids to find.
Can you help Rachel Green find Sue, along with one raccoon, two spoons, three mops, four flip flops.
Hide!!! is guaranteed to charm readers of all ages. (from Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
My daughter is 4 and nearly every day she tells me how she can't wait until she is old enough to read. (How happy am I!?!). Before that day comes, and hopefully even after, she very much enjoys being read to. I read Hide!! to her the day it arrived and she absolutely loved it!

I have to say, although I know who Jeff Foxworthy is and I know he has written a few books, I never thought I would love a children's book written by him so much. I was especially sceptial when I heard reviews and press releases comparing his writing style to Dr. Seuss. I mean, Dr. Seuss is pretty much my idol - no one could compare to him!

Was I very pleasantly surprised? Yes! The rhyming prose, the overall story, yes, I was reminded of Dr. Seuss. Also, Hide!!! is more then just a really good story. Each two page spread has hidden objects to find. Seriously, my whole family was in on the action! Pages 10 and 11 were expeccially tricky but after a while we managed to find 1 Raccoon, 2 Spoons, 3 Mops, 4 Flip Flops, 5 Monkey Eyes and 6 Butterflies!

This book would make a great gift for any young ones in your life. My daughter has proudly claimed my copy as hers and insists that it sit on her bookcase ('Not yours Mama!').

I highly recommend this one to kids ages 4 and up and to anyone who loves reading to children - you'll have a blast!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Beaufortbooks
Author's Website
Illustrator's Website
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)