Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Review: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Age: 12+
Publication Date: September 2010
Pages: approx 208
Series: ?
Book Acquisition: received an ARC at BEA

Book Summary:
Avery Hood is reeling from the loss of her parents--and the fact that she can't remember what happened to them even though she was there.
She's struggling to adjust to life without them, and to living with her grandmother, when she meets Ben, who isn't like any guy she's ever met before.
It turns out there's a reason why, and Ben's secret may hold the key to Avery finding out what happened to her parents...
But what if that secret changes everything she knows about--and feels for--Ben? (from Goodreads)

Quick Thoughts:
Not as good as the hype and not what I was expecting but I did enjoy the story.

What I didn't like:
The romance. Too quick, too much 'I saw him and I knew he was the only one for me' type of stuff. It didn't feel natural. Ben is very sweet to Avery and they are pretty cute together, but their relationship seemed a little hollow.

The ending wasn't my favorite either. I won't give anything away but it kind of made me question the premise of the book. It made sense, as book endings go, but, for me, I didn't quite fit.

What I liked:
The story in general was very well told. I really enjoyed the writting style and I felt that I got to know the characters really well. Avery's parents played a big part in the story and even though they are dead, we still get a good background on them. It made the flow of the book work. It made simpathizing with Avery more meaningful because I felt a connection to the parents that she lost.

The emotions in Low Red Moon are pretty raw at times. I couldn't imagine going through what Avery did. Even with the paranormal elements, I felt like this could be a true story.

It's a quick read, but a good one.

Reminded Me Of:
In retropect I would say 13 To Life by Shannon Delany because of the similar elements. While I was reading it though, I couldn't help but think of Need by Carrie Jones. Low Red Moon had that same small town, creepy surroundings, something's out there to get us feeling.

Who Would Enjoy It:
Fans of paranormal young adult books looking for a quick, easy and enjoyable read.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Publisher's website
Author's Website
Goodreads

Tidbits:
*Ivy Devlin is the pseudonym of a popular YA author and Low Red Moon is her paranormal fiction debut.
*The finished copy of this book is beautiful! The are red highlights through the pages and the dust jacket is shiny and very pretty :)

2 comments:

  1. I had issues believing the romance as well but I still liked Ben...even though he was kind of cliche. The emotional part of it made me like it more :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too quick to fall in love is what i dont like either. But it has a great story ;p

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)